About Management and Monitoring Utilities
Greenplum Database provides standard command-line utilities for performing common monitoring and administration tasks.
Greenplum command-line utilities are located in the $GPHOME/bin directory and are run on the master host. Greenplum provides utilities for the following administration tasks:
- Installing Greenplum Database on an array
- Initializing a Greenplum Database System
- Starting and stopping Greenplum Database
- Adding or removing a host
- Expanding the array and redistributing tables among new segments
- Managing recovery for failed segment instances
- Managing failover and recovery for a failed master instance
- Backing up and restoring a database (in parallel)
- Loading data in parallel
- Transferring data between Greenplum databases
- System state reporting
Greenplum Database includes an optional system monitoring and management database,
gpperfmon, that administrators can enable. The
gpperfmon_install command-line utility creates the
gpperfmon database and enables data collection agents that collect and store query and system metrics in the database. Administrators can query metrics in the
gpperfmon database. See the documentation for the
gpperfmon database in the Greenplum Database Reference Guide.
VMware provides an optional system monitoring and management tool, Greenplum Command Center, which administrators can install and enable with Greenplum Database. Greenplum Command Center provides a web-based user interface for viewing system metrics and allows administrators to perform additional system management tasks. For more information about Greenplum Command Center, see the Greenplum Command Center documentation.
Parent topic:Greenplum Database Concepts